Acid/Pueblo Canyon, New Mexico, Site
Background—The Acid/Pueblo Canyon Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) operations.
History—The Acid/Pueblo Canyon Site, owned by Los Alamos County, is located in the Pajarito Plateau Region near Los Alamos, New Mexico. Between 1943 and 1964, nuclear weapons activities conducted by the Manhattan Engineer District and AEC resulted in contamination of soil and rock in the canyon beneath the laboratory complex.
AEC remediated the contaminated areas in 1966 and 1967. DOE completed additional remediation of the site under FUSRAP in 1982. DOE certified that the site conformed to applicable cleanup criteria in August 1984 and released the affected areas for unrestricted use.
Final Conditions—Monitoring and, if necessary, additional remediation will be conducted by Los Alamos National Laboratory in conjunction with cleanup activities for the entire Los Alamos site. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Acid/Pueblo Canyon Site, view the fact sheet.