Background—The Albany, Oregon, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—The Albany Site is owned by the U.S. Bureau of Mines. Metallurgical research was conducted at this site for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and the Energy Research and Development Administration from 1948 to 1978. Activities involving radioactive thorium and uranium resulted in contamination of buildings, equipment, and soils.
The U.S. Bureau of Mines remediated portions of the site from 1948 to 1978. DOE conducted additional remediation of buildings, equipment, and soils under FUSRAP in 1987, 1988, 1990, and 1991. In 1992, DOE certified that applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use.
Final Conditions—Supplemental limits were applied to drains and other inaccessible areas. No institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Albany Site, view the