Chupadera Mesa, New Mexico, Site
Background—The Chupadera Mesa, New Mexico, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) operations.
History—The Chupadera Mesa Site is privately owned land northeast of the White Sands Missile Range and the city of Bingham in New Mexico. The site consists of the fallout zone of the first nuclear weapons test, the Trinity test, conducted on July 16, 1945. The test was part of the Manhattan Project that was established during World War II to conduct research for the development and production of nuclear weapons.
AEC and successor organizations monitored the site between 1945 and 1985. In 1986, DOE determined that residual radioactive materials met applicable standards; therefore, no remediation was conducted under FUSRAP, and DOE released the site for unrestricted use.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Chupadera Mesa Site, view the fact sheet.