Bayo Canyon, New Mexico, Site
Background—The Bayo Canyon, New Mexico, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) operations.
History—The Bayo Canyon Site, owned by Los Alamos County, is located in the Pajarito Plateau Region near Los Alamos, New Mexico. Los Alamos National Laboratory radiochemistry operations and explosives experiments conducted between 1943 and 1961 contaminated buildings, sewer lines, and soils at this site.
The AEC remediated contaminated areas from 1960 to 1963. DOE implemented additional remedial action under FUSRAP in 1982. DOE imposed institutional controls by erecting six permanent monuments to demarcate the a 1.5-acre contaminated soil area and restrict the use of this land by prohibiting excavation until the year 2142, when decay of the remaining residual radioactive contamination will allow the release of the affected area for unrestricted use. DOE certified that the site conformed to applicable cleanup criteria in August 1984 and released the affected areas for restricted use.
Final Conditions—Monitoring and, if necessary, additional remediation will be conducted by Los Alamos National Laboratory in conjunction with cleanup activities for the entire Los Alamos site. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Bayo Canyon Site, view the fact sheet.