Beverly, Massachusetts, Site
Background—The Beverly, Massachusetts, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—From 1942 to 1948, the Metal Hydrides Corporation, which became the Ventron Corporation in 1965, conducted uranium processing operations that converted uranium oxide to uranium metal powder and uranium metal for the Manhattan Engineer District. The Beverly Site was later used by another private company for the purification of thorium compounds.
In 1986, DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated the site and certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria in 2003. The privately owned property was released for unrestricted use.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Beverly Site, view the fact sheet.