Background—The Buffalo, New York, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) operations.
History—In 1952, the Bliss and Laughlin Steel Company machined and straightened uranium rods under subcontract to National Lead of Ohio, a prime AEC contractor. The activities generated waste cuttings which were shipped to the Lake Ontario Ordinance Works. A 1992 preliminary survey of the building interior and exterior identified radioactive material in the floor of the finishing area.
Remediation of the Buffalo Site began in December 1998 and continued through March 1999. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) remediated the contaminated areas to site-specific numerical standards. After obtaining concurrence from the State of New York that the site complied with the cleanup criteria, USACE issued the site closure report and declaration of completion for remedial action on September 30, 1999. The site transferred to the Office of Legacy Management in 2003.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Buffalo Site, view the