Chicago South, Illinois, Site
Background—The Chicago South, Illinois, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—In 1941, the National Defense Research Committee contracted the University of Chicago to construct a uranium and graphite pile to investigate the production of plutonium for use in the development of the atomic bomb. That same year the work was transferred to the Metallurgical Laboratory, where it continued until 1946 when the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was created. Work continued under the AEC contract through 1952 when the nuclear activities were transferred to the new Argonne National Laboratory site in DePage County. The Chicago South location was decontaminated using then–state of the art techniques.
In 1976 AEC directed Argonne National Laboratory to conduct radiological surveys, which identified only minimal contamination in the Kent, Jones, and Ryerson Laboratories and Ekhart Hall. Remediation of those areas was completed in 1987. DOE has released the site for unrestricted use by the university.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Chicago South Site, view the fact sheet.