Columbus East, Ohio, Site
Background—The Columbus East Site in Columbus, Ohio, was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—At the Columbus East Site uranium metal was heated and extruded into rods for the Manhattan Engineer District, contaminating building surfaces, drains, equipment, exterior soils, and manholes in nearby streets.
The owner removed contamination from site facilities and equipment after extrusion activities ceased in 1943. DOE conducted additional remediation of contaminated areas under FUSRAP in 1996. DOE certified that applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use in 2001.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Columbus East Site, view the fact sheet.