Background—The Hamilton, Ohio, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—Intermittently from 1943 to 1951, the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company fabricated slugs from rolled natural uranium metal stock for use by the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in production reactors.
In 1994, DOE designated the Hamilton Site for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated areas of contamination identified on surfaces and in floor drains in the interior of the building in 1994 and 1995. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in 1996 and released the property for unrestricted use.
Final Conditions—No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Office of Legacy Management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the Hamilton Site, view the