Middlesex North, New Jersey, Site
Background—The Middlesex North Site, in Middlesex, New Jersey, was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy Commission operations.
History—Ownership of the Middlesex North Site is divided between the Middlesex Presbyterian Church and the Borough of Middlesex. In 1948, approximately 6,000 cubic yards of soil with radioactive contamination from the Middlesex Sampling Plant was disposed of at the former municipal landfill.
In 1961, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission removed a portion of contaminated soil from the site and covered the area with 2 feet of clean soil. DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP in 1980. In 1984 and 1986, DOE removed contaminated material from an area of approximately 3 acres at depths of 1 to 19 feet. DOE certified that the remediated portion of the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and released the property for unrestricted use in April 1989.
Final Conditions—In 2008, results of a radiological survey performed by the Borough of Middlesex were provided to DOE. DOE commissioned a survey of the entire property that identified above-background concentrations of radium-226 and uranium-238 inside the property boundary in areas that had not been previously remediated. DOE referred the site to the U.S Army Corps of Engineers to determine if additional remediation is required. For more information about the Middlesex North Site, view the fact sheet.