New Brunswick, New Jersey, Site
Background—The New Brunswick, New Jersey,
Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program
(FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites where radioactive
contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S. Atomic Energy
Commission (AEC) operations.
History—From 1948 to
1977, the Manhattan Engineer District and AEC operated the New Brunswick Site
as a general nuclear chemistry laboratory.
The site was partially
remediated in two phases between 1978 and 1983, including removal of all
aboveground structures, contaminated concrete foundations and on-site drain
lines, and contaminated soils on the front two-thirds of the property. In
1990, DOE designated the site for additional remediation of residual soil
contamination under FUSRAP. DOE remediated localized areas of contamination
identified in 1996 and certified that the site complied with applicable
cleanup criteria and standards in September 2001. In 2009, at the request of
the State regulator, DOE collected additional radiological data on drain
lines entering a sanitary sewer in the public right of way. DOE found no
indication of above-background radioactivity.
Conditions—A deed restriction prevents excavation in an area where soils containing arsenic are covered by a layer of clean soil. The site was transferred to a private owner in November 2009. The owner inspects the restricted area every other year and submits a certification of protectiveness to the State regulator. Office of Legacy Management activities are managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries. For more information about the New Brunswick Site, view the fact