New Jersey, Site was remediated under the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial
Action Program (FUSRAP). FUSRAP was established in 1974 to remediate sites
where radioactive contamination remained from Manhattan Project and early U.S.
Atomic Energy Commission operations.
Earths, Inc. and then W.R. Grace and Company operated the 6.5-acre site as a
rare earth and thorium processing facility from 1948 to 1971. Contaminated
waste materials were buried on site and the facility license was terminated.
DOE acquired the property for interim storage of contaminated soil and debris
removed from nearby (vicinity) properties. The U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) listed the site on the National Priorities List (NPL) in 1984.
DOE began remediation of the site and contaminated vicinity properties; remediation was completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 2003. The site was transferred to Wayne Township for recreational use in 2006. In 2010, USACE remediated residual radioactive contamination in public rights-of-way. EPA removed the site from the NPL in 2012.
Conditions—LM's requirements consist of managing and preserving site information and responding to requests for information.For more information about the Wayne Site, view the