LM Home | DOE Website
Building 771
Building History
Click image for low-res file  
CO-83-N-1 – View looking south at Building 771 under construction. Building 771 was one of the first four major buildings at the Rocky Flats Plant. Building 771 was originally the primary facility for plutonium operations. (5/29/52)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-2 – View of the glove box where, on September 11, 1957, a fire started. The fire spread to the rest of the building, resulting in the transfer of plutonium foundry, fabrication, and assembly operations to Building 776/777. (9/16/57)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-3 – View of glove boxes damaged in the 1957 fire. (9/16/57)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-4 – View of the filter plenums damaged in a fire in Building 771. (9/16/57)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-5 – View of production area in Building 771. (6/20/60)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-6 – View of chemical holding tanks in the production area. (6/20/60)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-7 – View of anion exchange equipment during installation. (10/18/61)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-8 – View of glove boxes used in the anion exchange process. The anion exchange process purified and concentrated plutonium-bearing nitric acid solutions to make them acceptable as feed for conversion to metal. (6/20/60)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-9 – View looking west of glove boxes associated with the anion exchange process in Room 149. The glove boxes on the left contain mixer stirrers that aid in the dissolution process that occurred prior to anion exchange. (6/20/60)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-10 – View of calciner in Room 146-148. The calciner heated plutonium peroxide to convert it to plutonium oxide. The process removed residual water and nitric acid, leaving a dry, powdered product. (4/29/65)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-11 – Side view of installation of a continuous rotary-tube hydrofluorinator located in Room 146. The hydrofluorinator is being installed inside a glove box. Hydrofluorination converted plutonium oxide to plutonium tetrafluoride. (1/11/62)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-12 – End view of installation of the hydrofluorinator equipment in Room 146. This hydrofluorinator was installed in 1963 to increase control and consistency in this step of the process. (1/11/62)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-13 – View of the hydrofluorinator after installation. Supplemental shielding, which moves along tracks in the floor and ceiling, protects workers from neutron radiation emissions associated with the process. (4/29/65)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-14 – View of the anion exchange control panel. (2/16/66)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-15 – View of laboratory equipment in the Building 771 analytical laboratory. The lab analyzed samples for plutonium, americium, uranium, neptunium, and other radioactive isotopes. (9/25/62)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-16 – View of a balance in Room 188. (3/64)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-17 – View of steam condensate collection tanks. The glove box in the background is at the end of the americium recovery line. (5/27/71)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-18 – View of the ceiling. The piping transported chemicals from a chemical preparation room on the second floor to the first-floor process areas. (6/12/73)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-19 – View of processing room. After 1957, Building 771 operations consisted primarily of aqueous plutonium recovery from scrap metal. (6/20/60)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])
CO-83-N-20 – View of the incinerator. During routine building operations in December 1988, a heat plume was generated that was registered on film by a passing aircraft. Officials with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) believed that illegal operations were being conducted. The EPA used this opportunity to convince authorities to issue a warrant to enter the Rocky Flats Plant and investigate the allegation. (4/98)
(Hi-res [300 dpi])